Forum

Policies – please read!

• Everyone can read posts, but to start a new topic or add a reply you’d need to register. To create an ID, please verify your email address. You will get a link at that email address and you can then pick a password.
  • Be courteous to others. Treat others like you like to be treated. Discuss the issues. No ad-hominem attacks!
  • It’s OK to include external links if they are relevant. But please avoid spamming! Please no affiliate links.
  • Before starting a new topic, please check if that question/topic has been discussed before already and add to that discussion instead of starting a new topic.
  • If you’ve written a cool blog post that you want to share with others please post this in the “Self-Promo” category only!
  • Please read the usual Disclaimers and the Privacy Policy!
  • The forum policies may be amended in the future!
Notifications
Clear all

2021 Outlook

Page 2 / 2

Janey12
Topic starter
(@janey12)

Thank you.  So the whole portfolio is mixed together and my portion is in there too, and I have to just hope it does well, because I cannot make any changes.  I looked back and the base is all over the place. 

VTSAX:  

Dec 2018:  base 2546

Jan 2019:  base 2447; Oct 2019: base 2887

Jan and Feb 2020:  base 3225 and 2978; Mar 2020: base 2746 and 2398

VGIT May 2020:  base 2831 

VXUS May 2020.

I am not sure with this allocation if VTSAX drops the VGIT would balance it back.  

Thank you for any ideas.  

3 Replies
earlyretirementnow.com
(@earlyretirementnowcom)

@janey12

OK, but I still don't quite understand what the concern is. Wouldn't the portfolio be split in-kind, so everybody gets their shares transferred into their new individual accounts? You'd never have the issue of liquidating the account at the bottom of the market.

Janey12
(@janey12)

@earlyretirementnowcom Hi thank you so much.  That is what I was asking everyone, lawyer, Vanguard and they all said I would pick a dollar amount and transfer over.   If I do it that way I lose.   I need to transfer in kind.  What you are saying is what I have been asking them along and they did not know.  Because the money was invested in different lots and then dividends reinvested to purchase more lots/shares, then it does make a difference to transfer in kind and then I would get my percentage of those lots/shares as it was allocated and ride it out.  Am I thinking correctly?  Thank you so much.  

Janey12
(@janey12)

@earlyretirementnowcom

Hi thank you.  Does it matter it this portfolio is all in my spouses IRA, in relationship to your statement "OK, but I still don't quite understand what the concern is. Wouldn't the portfolio be split in-kind, so everybody gets their shares transferred into their new individual accounts? You'd never have the issue of liquidating the account at the bottom of the market.".  I am just worried that at the time of finalization the portfolio will drop and then I will get much less.  Or if % split in kind even in an IRA it does not matter, correct?  Thank you so much.

Janey12
Topic starter
(@janey12)

Now that I think about it that is good question.  So if if were all in one account say in guaranteed interest and then started buying as I listed above, how could you tell what portion of the allocation bought is premarital and what is marital and what portion took the loss as it all came from guaranteed interest.

Janey12
Topic starter
(@janey12)

Hi I have another thought.  Do you think the decline in the housing market will be slower than the decline in the stock market?  So it may be more beneficial to take the house and sell it quickly then worry about my part of the IRA and the market crashing.  Just a thought, as I am trying to be creative.  Any ideas is welcome.  Thank you.

earlyretirementnow.com
(@earlyretirementnowcom)

Experience from the sclerotic growth economies in Europe (e.g. Germany): it's possible that the RE market holds up relatively well. 

Page 2 / 2
Share: