Forum

Policies – please read!

• Everyone can read posts, but to start a new topic or add a reply you’d need to register. To create an ID, please verify your email address. You will get a link at that email address and you can then pick a password.
  • Be courteous to others. Treat others like you like to be treated. Discuss the issues. No ad-hominem attacks!
  • It’s OK to include external links if they are relevant. But please avoid spamming! Please no affiliate links.
  • Before starting a new topic, please check if that question/topic has been discussed before already and add to that discussion instead of starting a new topic.
  • If you’ve written a cool blog post that you want to share with others please post this in the “Self-Promo” category only!
  • Please read the usual Disclaimers and the Privacy Policy!
  • The forum policies may be amended in the future!
Notifications
Clear all

S & P 500

Janey12
Topic starter
(@janey12)

Hi I am wondering if I have not bought into the S & P 500 yet, would it be better to wait until it drops a bit.  I think now is not a good time to just enter when it is shooting though the roof.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  I thought I would wait until it drops and then buy some VTSAX, etc.... Not right now.  My soon to be ex-husband is making me feel like a real jerk saying that I should have bought in...yes I know but what past is past and now I think I should wait until it goes down.  I read something that it may go to 8000.  How realistic is that.  Any help is really really appreciated.

4 Replies
NavyPack
(@navypack)
Estimable Member

History would say just add it all now.  However, I think psychologically the answer is 30% now and then add 10% every other month.

Look up some videos or articles on investing every year at the worst time (year high).  Turns out alright!

3 Replies
earlyretirementnow.com
(@earlyretirementnowcom)

NavyPack
(@navypack)

Estimable Member

@earlyretirementnowcom very good track back to the logical approach, which I agree with!

However just listened to The Psychology of Money, and the author brought up a good point about rationale versus realistic.  I think giving up a little gain by DCA is worth it to get people IN the market safely.  

I think there is a lot to the mental aspect for most investors and my thought is normally to prevent an early loss that scares someone out of market for 12-18 months.

Make sense?

earlyretirementnow.com
(@earlyretirementnowcom)

@navypack   I can see that rationale for people getting into the market for the first time. If lump-sum investing is too scary, then DCA is certainly better than not investing at all.

But I also always point to the mathematically correct thing to do. 🙂

Share: