Forum

Policies – please read!

• Everyone can read posts, but to start a new topic or add a reply you’d need to register. To create an ID, please verify your email address. You will get a link at that email address and you can then pick a password.
  • Be courteous to others. Treat others like you like to be treated. Discuss the issues. No ad-hominem attacks!
  • It’s OK to include external links if they are relevant. But please avoid spamming! Please no affiliate links.
  • Before starting a new topic, please check if that question/topic has been discussed before already and add to that discussion instead of starting a new topic.
  • If you’ve written a cool blog post that you want to share with others please post this in the “Self-Promo” category only!
  • Please read the usual Disclaimers and the Privacy Policy!
  • The forum policies may be amended in the future!
Notifications
Clear all

January 2021 Trades

Page 1 / 5

NavyPack
Topic starter
(@navypack)
Estimable Member

* ERN - If you'd prefer, I can just make a holistic thread vice monthly.

Sold 6 Jan 3465 for $1.45 near the close. Underlying was trading around 3700 and delta of the option contract was about -0.03.  Hope a 235 point drop by Wednesday is unlikely, but lots happening by Wed close.

VIX was 27 and IV was around 40. Love IV > VIX.

Got greedy this morning and rolled my 4 Jan from 3630 to 3685 for 0.30 or $30/contact, which could have been a disaster!  Didn't check mid-day price, but at mid-day low of 3665 was probably a -2500 loss.  Bailed out, but still dumb.  Lesson is just trust the process and don't roll up the risk.

Thoughts?

39 Replies
earlyretirementnow.com
(@earlyretirementnowcom)

Was a bit of a rollercoaster ride today. Early strikes were 3400, when the SP was >3700. Then strikes went down all the way to 3280. But the last ones I sold were at 3425, actually higher than the early-morning ones. Yeah, people still price in a lot of uncertainty due to the Tuesday Senate runoffs and the crazy COVID numbers. But I'm hopeful our strikes will hold.

nobatmanjokes
(@nobatmanjokes)
Trusted Member

I ended up at 3400 as well but near the end of the day for $1.20. Good day to not bother checking in until the afternoon!

NavyPack
Topic starter
(@navypack)
Estimable Member

Everybody seems to get better deals than me, but I keep posting for accountability and to help those that follow in the future.

Sold 8 Jan 3480 for $1.35 near the close. Underlying was trading around 3745 and delta of the option contract was about -3.5.

IV was certainly greater than ViX, but don't have numbers.

I live in Arlington, VA and I pray we find a way to heal the rift in the country!

nobatmanjokes
(@nobatmanjokes)
Trusted Member

3430 for $1.40 about an hour after the vix spike for you-know-what.

Deals are total luck when VIX is elevated. I had way worse luck with my strikes and prices during the election vol spike. Of course still had all of the most important luck which is the puts all ended up worthless!

Page 1 / 5
Share: