Forum

Policies – please read!

• Everyone can read posts, but to start a new topic or add a reply you’d need to register. To create an ID, please verify your email address. You will get a link at that email address and you can then pick a password.
  • Be courteous to others. Treat others like you like to be treated. Discuss the issues. No ad-hominem attacks!
  • It’s OK to include external links if they are relevant. But please avoid spamming! Please no affiliate links.
  • Before starting a new topic, please check if that question/topic has been discussed before already and add to that discussion instead of starting a new topic.
  • If you’ve written a cool blog post that you want to share with others please post this in the “Self-Promo” category only!
  • Please read the usual Disclaimers and the Privacy Policy!
  • The forum policies may be amended in the future!
Notifications
Clear all

July 2021 Trades

Page 3 / 4

E Trader
(@e-trader)
Eminent Member

I sold the 3920, 3940 and 3955s for Wed.  Avg price 1.72

2 Replies
TwentySomething
(@twentysomething)

@e-trader My strikes are similar to yours, but since I opened mine just a few minutes before close the price was much lower for me.

E Trader
(@e-trader)

Eminent Member

Yeah, time marches on and premiums decay quickly when there is only 2 or 3 days.

NavyPack
(@navypack)
Estimable Member

As Big ERN says, really exciting on days where close is around your strikes!  Eight minutes until close and I'm 8 points to the good....

3 Replies
NavyPack
(@navypack)

Estimable Member

Three minutes until close and 12 points to the good.

Sorry for all the posts, but very cathartic to track down to the close in SPX.  So far, I'm glad I held out and didn't roll my loosing position earlier today.

E Trader
(@e-trader)

Eminent Member

@navypack Glad you ended up OTM.  Thank goodness for the bounce in the last 15 minutes.  I ended up losing about 26 pts per option sold.  Stings a little, but was down about 45 pts at the lows.  Negative gamma is a bear.

Amazing how our results varied by several thousand dollars per option just based on my bad entry timing on Friday.  Ooof.

bginburg
(@bginburg)

@navypack I am with you, was very nerve wracking watching the last 15 minutes or so - almost closed the position out at $5, then at $3, then even at $1 but glad I held the course to get full premium with the 4240 strike.

During the ride, sold a 4070 put for Wednesday at $3.15 so hoping the negative march doesn't continue... if it does it doesn't bode well for some of my Friday puts that range between 4160 and 4200...

NavyPack
(@navypack)
Estimable Member

@earlyretirementnowcom days like today seem to be huge for this approach.  Your thoughts?

fi4wanderlust
(@fi4wanderlust)
Eminent Member

For those who are interested, I've been looking at the IV rank and put/call spreads when I sell options. SPY is currently showing +9.3 towards the put side which means premiums are looking really good right now.

https://marketchameleon.com/Overview/SPY/VolatilitySkew/

Alex
 Alex
Topic starter
(@alex)

Today got a bit closer than I like but finished ok. 4200.

Sold weds at 3990.

We have had several red days in a row to there may be a small relief rally either Tues or Wed on earnings even if the trajectory is a bit lower. 

The strikes I had today spiked against me 100% from when I sold them on Friday but eventually finished otm. I've taken the hands off approach which is good. Once I sell them I don't really check the trade until the end of the day. It zig zags a lot but I'm just letting the process play out and enjoy the summer in the mean time. 

Page 3 / 4
Share: